Honors, Service, Grants
Honors | Service | Presentations | Grants
- December 31, 2002 Pittsburgh Post Gazette
Named one of "A
Dozen Who are Making a Difference" "With the final issue of
the year, Your Health presents its second annual Dozen Making a Difference,
profiles of professionals in the health, science and environmental fields
who may not always make headlines" for work with EyesOnThePrize.org.
- September 14, 2002 WQED Pittsburgh
Subject of Mid-Atlantic Emmy Award-winning OnQ Magazine story (April 25,
2001) about EyesOnThePrize.org (Our
Emmy Winners, WQED Pittsburgh press release).
- New Media Magazine, 1995 Invision Awards, Next Step Mars?
Finalist in Edutainment, Young Adult category.
- Pennsylvania Federation of Museums
and Historical Associations, Honorable Mention for in-school programs
for Havens, Houses, Forts, and Factories, June 1991.
- Pennsylvania Art Education Association, Outstanding Art Educator of the
- VYTAL curriculum, Century Award, United Way (national organization), 1990.
- Award of Merit for outstanding contributions to preservation education,
Pittsburgh History & Landmarks Foundation, 1990.
- First recipient "Distinguished Alumni Lecturer" Award, Art Department,
Westminster College, 1986.
- Listed in 1986-87 and 1988-89 editions of Who's Who in the East,
1987-88 edition of Who's Who of Emerging Leaders in America, and
1987 edition of The World Who's Who of Women.
- Founder and Board President, EyesOnThePrize.org,
- Member, Allied Support Group, Gynecologic Cancer Foundation, 2004-present.
- Advisory Committee, People Living With Cancer, patient web site of the American Society for Clinical Oncologists, 2003-present
- Strategic Planning Committee, Gateway to the Arts, 2004
- World Wide Web HomePage committee, QED Communications, 1995.
- Strategic planning committees, QED Communications, 1995
- Technology Education Advisory Council, International Technology Education
- Panelist, Folklife Panel, Pennsylvania Council on the Arts, 1992.
- Member, Folklife Advisory Council, Pennsylvania Heritage Affairs Commission,
- Panelist, Local History Grants Review Panel, Pennsylvania Historical and
Museum Commission, 1991.
- Member, Arts Education Advisory Committee, Howard Heinz Endowment, 1991.
- Board Member, Society for Contemporary Craft, Pittsburgh, PA, 1989-1994.
- Member, Arts Education Roundtable, Pittsburgh
Fund for Arts Education, 1988-1997.
- Advisory Committee, Rachel
Carson Homestead Association, 1989. Lead team of Duquesne University
museum graduate students conducting interpretive plan.
- Member, Steel Industry Heritage Task
Force, Pittsburgh, 1988-1991. Designed steel heritage exhibit for Pittsburgh's
Mellon Bank Center gallery, 1990.
- Board Member, Riverview Children's Center, Verona, PA, 1985-87.
- Co-Chair and founder, Pittsburgh Resources in Museum Education interest
group of Greater
Pittsburgh Museum Council, 1989-1991.
- Education Committee, Mid-Atlantic Association of Museums, 1988.
- National Art Education Association 1983 Conference, Detroit, "Learning
the Trade: Museology for School Children," March 1983.
- Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission and Pennsylvania Department
of Education, Teaching Pennsylvania Studies, "Local History with Elementary
Children," September 1983.
- Pennsylvania Art Education Association 1983 Conference, Harrisburg, PA,
general session presentation, "Crafts in the Modern Marketplace,"
- Phi Delta Kappa and Southwestern Pennsylvania Association for Supervision
and Curriculum Development Fall Conference, "Learning the Trade: Museology
for Children," November 1983.
- American Association for State and Local History 1984 Conference, Louisville,
KY, "Kids as Curators: Learning the Trade," September 1984.
- Kappa Delta Pi, Pittsburgh Chapter, initiation meeting speaker, "Riverview
Children's Center Museum Project," November 1984.
- The Preservation Fund of Pennsylvania Annual Conference, State College,
PA, "Preservation Programs for the Public School Audience," May
- Duquesne University, Archives-Museums-Editing graduate history program,
Guest Lecturer on museum exhibit design and interpretive programs, Spring
- Greater Pittsburgh Museum Council Community Symposium, Pittsburgh, "Reaching
Teachers" and "Desktop Publishing: Getting Your Word Out Efficiently,"
- Pittsburgh Fund for Arts Education Artist's Showcase, "Visualizing
History," October 1987.
- Pittsburgh Trust for Cultural Resources, Arts in Education Workshop, "Pre-
and Post-Activities for School Cultural Events," January 1988.
- North Allegheny Intermediate Unit, Social Studies Symposium panelist for
local history and ethnic studies, January 1988.
- Pennsylvania Art Education Association Conference, "Sampling Ethnic
Crafts: Multicultural Teaching Strategies for Art Classrooms," October
- National Council for Social Studies Conference, Anaheim, CA, "Toward
a Better Balance: Multicultural Teaching Strategies," November 1990.
- Pennsylvania Art Education Association Conference, "Crafting Strategies
for Multicultural Art Education," October 1991.
- Pennsylvania Historical Association, "ExplorePAhistory.com as a Vehicle for Teacher Training," October 2002.
Grants received (served as Project Director)
Pennsylvania Council on the Arts:
- 1982, "Registration of Permanent Collection of American Crafts,"
Society for Art in Crafts.
Pennsylvania Humanities Council:
- 1982-83, Planning and Phaedrus Grants for "Riverview Children's Center
Museum Project," Riverview Children's Center.
- 1986, Phaedrus Grant for "Hands-On History: An Introduction to Classroom
Methods in Local History Research," Pittsburgh History & Landmarks
- 1990, Grant for "Havens, Houses, Forts, and Factories: Fayette-Westmoreland's
Architectural Heritage," Fallingwater, et al.
Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission:
- 1985, Local History Grant for "Architecture: The Building Art Exhibit
Guide for Teachers," Pittsburgh History & Landmarks Foundation.
- 1986-87, Local History Grant for "Exploring Architecture Teacher Inservice,"
Pittsburgh History & Landmarks Foundation.
- 1989-90, Columbus Quincentenary Grant, "A Sampler of Ethnic Crafts
Curriculum," Pennsylvania Ethnic Heritage Studies Center.
- 1989-90, Special Project Grant, "Havens, Houses, Fortresses, and Factories:
Westmoreland-Fayette's Architectural Heritage," Fallingwater, et al.
- 1990-91, Columbus Quincentenary Grant, "Ethnic Crafts Outreach Loan
Kits," Pennsylvania Ethnic Heritage Studies Center.
Legislative Office for Research Liaison, Pennsylvania House of Representatives:
- 1986-87, special grant for Toward a Better Balance, an ethnicity/multiculturalism
workshop and curriculum guide for Commonwealth teachers, Pennsylvania Ethnic
Heritage Studies Center.
- 1987-88, Toward a Better Balance, second year funding to develop
Henry C. Frick Educational Commission:
- 1987, "Drawing: A Way of Seeing Inservice," Frick Art Museum.
- 1987-88, "Portable Pittsburgh" outreach program, Pittsburgh History
& Landmarks Foundation.
- 1988, "At Home in Pittsburgh Inservice," Frick Art Museum.
- 1989, "Uncovering Hidden Treasures Inservice," Frick Art Museum,
Society for Art in Crafts, Kingsley Center.
- 1990, "Introducing Clayton Inservice," Clayton, The Frick Foundation.
- 1992, "Art of the Everyday: 17th Century Dutch and Flemish Painting
Inservice," The Frick Art Museum.